By Richard E. Rieselbach (auth.), Mathias M. Müller, Erich Kaiser, J. Edwin Seegmiller (eds.)
The examine of gouty arthritis has supplied a standard assembly floor for the learn pursuits of either the elemental scientist and the clinician. The curiosity of the chemist in gout begun 1776 with the isolation of uric acid from a concretion of the urinary tract via the Swedish chemist SCHEELE. a similar substance was once in this case extracted from a gouty tophus by way of the British chemist WOLLASTONE in 1797 and a part century later the reason for the deposits of sodium urate In such tophi was once traced to a hyperuricemia within the serum of gouty sufferers by way of the British general practitioner Alfred Baring GARROD who had additionally acquired education within the chemical laboratory and was once consequently a fore-runner of a lot of latest clinician-investigators. the hot surge of development in figuring out of a few of the factors of gout by way of particular enzyme defects marks the doorway of the biochemist into this box of research. The identity of the 1st basic illness of purine metabolism linked to over-production of uric acid, a serious or partial deficiency of the enzyme hypoxanthine-guanine phospho ribosyl transferase was once accomplished lower than a decade in the past. the information of the mechanism of purine over-production that it generated led almost immediately to the identity of households wearing a dominantly (possibly X-linked) inherited elevate within the job of the enzyme phosphoribosylpyrophosphate synthetase as a reason behind purine over-production. but this can be just a commence as those sorts of enzyme defects account for under 5 according to cent of gouty patients.
Read or Download Purine Metabolism in Man—II: Physiology, Pharmacology, and Clinical Aspects PDF
Best clinical books
The fourth version of Haddad and Winchester's scientific administration of Poisoning and Drug Overdose is the most up-tp-date, authoritative, and concise reference for info with regards to the scientific administration of kids and adults whose healthiness has been effected or possibly effected by way of poisonous brokers, together with medicines, environmental threats, and traditional pollution.
This finished quantity, written through specialists within the box, emphasizes the newest advances at the Hepatitis C virus an infection (HCV) relocating from easy examine to medical software. inspite of the various stories on HCV an infection, its pathogenesis and scientific therapy haven't been absolutely defined.
- Sleep Disordered Breathing in Children: A Comprehensive Clinical Guide to Evaluation and Treatment
- Brain Ischemia: Basic Concepts and Clinical Relevance
- Inflammatory Disorders of the Nervous System: Pathogenesis, Immunology, and Clinical Management
- Interferon Alpha-2: Pre-Clinical and Clinical Evaluation: Proceedings of the Symposium held in Adjunction with the Second International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma, Lugano, Switzerland, June 13, 1984
- 2008-2009 Basic and Clinical Science Course: Section 13: Refractive Surgery
Additional resources for Purine Metabolism in Man—II: Physiology, Pharmacology, and Clinical Aspects
W. Fekl: Wirkungen einer Kohlenhydratkombinations16sung auf den Stoffwechsel bei gleichzeitiger Applikation von Aminosauren. Z. Erniihrungswiss. 14 (1975), 163. 3. , F. Matzkies, H. Heid: Zur Wirkung hochdosierter Sorbitinfusionen auf den Kohlenhydrat-, Fett- und Harnsaurestoffwechsel, den Saure-BasenHaushalt und die Elektrolytkonzentrationen im Serum und Urin bei gesunden Mannern. Dtsch. med. Wschr. 99 (1974), 2352. 4. : Untersuchungen zur Pharmakokinetik von Kohlenhydraten als Grundlage ihrer Anwendung zur parenteralen Erniihrung.
6. --. nicotinamide, 1 g. Nicotinic acid could potentially diminish the clearance of uric acid by a decrease in the glomerular filtration rate or by an alteration in the renal tubular handling of uric acid. Since the creatinine clearance was not substantially decreased, the mechanism of the nicotinic acid effect on the renal tubule was studied by demonstrating its interaction with sulfinpyrazone, iopanic acid and acetylsalicylic acid. Nicotinic acid inhibited the uricosuria following sulfinpyrazone or iopanoic acid.
Am. J, Physiol. 199:1199, 1960. H. : The renal mechanism for urate homeostasis in normal man. Am. J. Med. 43:868, 1967. : The kidney and uric acid excretion in man. Kidney Int. 2:115, 1972. RENAL HANDLING OF URIC ACID 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. M. : Pharmacology of pyrazinamide: metabolic and renal function studies related to the mechanism of drug-induced urate retention. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 180:411, 1972. , Jr. : Pyrazinoate excretion in the chimpanzee.